Arkham Sanitarium: Soul Eater (2014 film)
"Lovecraft on Steroids." Arkham Sanitarium was vacant for years after a sex and death cult was arrested for committing heinous acts on patients, but now paranormal investigators are trapped inside and battling malevolent forces as they grapple with the very creatures created by HP Lovecraft.
- Release Date: 2014
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, found-footage/mockumentary
- Runtime: 1 hr 13 min
- Starring: Julian Grant
- Director: Julian Grant
- Writer: Shannon Brown, Rinska Carrasco, Marc Edwards
- Producer/Production Co: Sector 5 Films
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (I would expect the equivalent of a PG-13 or R with Violence, Profanity, Adult Content, Nudity, and Sexual Situations)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (Two Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; could be a very loose adaptation)
I've not seen this, but the descriptions and trailers Name-drop a handful of Lovecraft creations, and the film supposedly involves paranormal investigators battling Lovecraftian monsters. Considering the so-called "Lovecraft Cult" is described repeatedly as a "sex and death cult", it sounds likely that this is a generic horror film with a couple Lovecraft references tacked on as an afterthought.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Baron Craze at Rogue Cinema (link) - "Overall, the production, had a refreshing course in the found footage nightmare genre, where storylines fade fast, so-called acting replaces talent, and questionable directing abounds, none of that exists here..."
- Mike Haberfelner at (re)Search my Trash (link) - One of those precious few found footage movies that have come out in recent years that actually adds something new to the genre: Very dark and very twisted humour... That's not to say that Arkham Sanitarium: Soul Eater isn't properly scary, at times fittingly grotesque in all the right places..."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Arkham Sanitarium was vacant for years after a sex and death cult was arrested for committing heinous acts on patients, but now paranormal investigators are trapped inside and battling malevolent forces as they grapple with the very creatures created by HP Lovecraft.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements