Black Ghosts (2015 film)
Black Ghosts (2015), AKA Trans Somnium
"She has summoned Them." In an attempt to reunite with her dead girlfriend, Maya evokes dark forces through occult rituals, with devastating results. She has opened a portal to hell and must now fight to survive against a small band of angry and deadly spirits, who twist and turn her reality into a living nightmare.
- Release Date: 2015
- Country/Language: Sweden, English & Swedish
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Art/Experimental
- Setting: Modern Sweden
- Runtime: 1 hr 38 min
- Starring: Sandra Karinsdotter, Kaarina Lindblom, Johan Sjöberg
- Director: Andreas Marawell
- Writer: Andreas Marawell
- Producer/Production Co: Intravex, Swesoundstudios, Andreas Marawell, George Beckman
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: unrated (equivalent to an R for Nudity, Adult Content, Sexual Situations, Profanity, and mild Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
A magical ritual opens a grieving woman to a DreamQuest to see her dead lover again, and is haunted by sinister and malevolent spirits.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Review by Marc Fusion at MarcFustiondotcom (link) - " This is an offbeat, unsettling movie with some elements that might be seen as cheap or low rent, but I think it is a unique and creative effort, one that is well worth a look."
- Review by Peter 'Witchfinder' Hopkins at Horrorscreams Videovault (link) - "Andreas Marawell has directed a film that is very well shot which is unsurprising given that his career thus far has been mostly in cinematography. Imagine if someone got a chance to visually record your dreams, the disjointed twists and turns, that is the best way to describe Black Ghosts.
- Y.Whateley: "A Swedish thing similar to a (much) slower-paced A Dark Song (2016 film); there's a slow build-up following an intense and lengthy occult ritual, leading up to strange dream-quests and interactions with imaginative and eerie dark spirits, before the movie collapses under its own ponderous weight with a rather useless ending, leaving the whole thing feeling like it was a lot of build-up for a small pay-off and no real plot-twist or conclusion; I suspect for many viewers who enjoy the film much of the interest would come only from following the esoteric and occult elements."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
In an attempt to reunite with her dead girlfriend, Maya evokes dark forces through occult rituals, with devastating results. She has opened a portal to hell and must now fight to survive against a small band of angry and deadly spirits, who twist and turn her reality into a living nightmare.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- The spirits were named Aleister C, Z.Q, X.X, Y.Ö, Q.Z, and L.L
Associated Mythos Elements
- The investigators must engage in a Dream Quest to rescue an obsessed Dreamer who has gone too far in her effort to see a dead loved one again, and has become ensnared in a dark Dreamland peopled by malevolent spirits.