Blood Glacier (2013 film)
"Terror has evolved." Scientists working in the Austrian Alps discover that a glacier is leaking a liquid that appears to be affecting local wildlife.
- Release Date: 2013
- Country/Language: Austria, German with subtitles
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Science Fiction
- Setting: Modern, Austria
- Runtime: 1 hr 38 min
- Starring: Gerhard Liebmann, Edita Malovcic, Santos
- Director: Marvin Kren
- Writer: Benjamin Hessler (screenplay), Marvin Kren (screenplay contributor), Claudia Kolland (dramatisation)
- Producer/Production Co: Allegro Film, Filmfonds Wien, Filmstandort Austria (FISA)
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: not rated (equivalent to an 'R' for Violence, Profanity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Goopy body horror and frozen tentacle-monsters might suggest a remote kinship with At the Mountains of Madness (fiction), but a more likely ancestry could probably be found in the likes of Alien (1979 franchise), The Thing (1982 franchise), The Fly (1986 franchise), The Relic (1997 film); ultimately, the result was no more (and arguably less) "Lovecraftian" than any of the '80s body horror movies that inspired it.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Y.Whateley - "A mostly-harmless Euro retread of the usual 1980s sci-fi/horror movies (Alien, The Thing, The Fly, The Relic), set on a melting polar glacier; loose comparisons might be drawn to At the Mountains of Madness, but it's really not very 'Lovecraftian'...."
- Marina Antunes at (Quiet Earth) - "...A pretty great creature feature and exactly the kind of movie you'd want to see with some rowdy friends and a few drinks..."
- Martin Leggett at (HorrorFreak News) (3/5 Stars) - "...Shamelessly silly but is all the more fun for it and stands as one of the least serious and craziest horror movies to come from IFC this year..."
- Richard Scheib at (The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review) (2/5 Stars) - "...You keep expecting all of this to mount to something amazing, or at the very least a gruelling to-the-last-man siege. Alas, the film finishes unsatisfyingly, feeling like it almost travels there but only succeeds in going part of the way...."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A team of geologists working in the Austrian Alps discover that a glacier is leaking a red liquid that appears to be affecting local wildlife by combining with their DNA to produce flesh-eating mutants, which begin eating the team members' faces off, one by one....
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- film: compare to Alien (1979 franchise), The Thing (1982 franchise), The Fly (1986 franchise), The Relic (1997 film)
- A team of geologists, inspectors, officials, and other characters in the Austrian Alps uncover a primordial horror thawing from a melting glacier....