Brain Eaters (1958 film)
The Brain Eaters (1958) AKA The Keepers, Keepers of the Earth, The Brain Snatchers
"Crawling, slimy things terror-bent on destroying the world!" Young Glenn Cameron finds a 50-foot cone sticking out of the ground near a small Illinois town, and reports his discovery. The government sends a UFO committee, headed by a senator and a scientist. Soon, they learn several townspeople have vanished, including Glenn's father, the Mayor, who returns under the control of a mysterious creature attached to his brain....
- Release Date: 1958
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Science-Fiction, black-and-white
- Setting: 1950s Small-town Riverdale, Illinois
- Runtime: 1 hr 00 min
- Starring: Ed Nelson, Alan Jay Factor, Cornelius Keefe
- Director: Bruno VeSota
- Writer: Gordon Urquhart (screenplay)
- Producer/Production Co: Corinthian Productions
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: approved (equivalent to a PG for mild Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- Ss___ (One and a Half Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; vaguely similar in tone)
A drill-machine full of weird mind-controlling fuzz-ball parasites burrows up from the Hollow Earth to conquer the surface world.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Video Review at Dark Corners Reviews (0.5/10) (link)
- Graeme Clark at The Spinning Image (5/10 Stars) (link) - "This being as cheap as you like, for all its surface foolishness it did have something interesting to say about the America of the fifties, if it intended to or otherwise, though that was not to say you couldn't chuckle along with it should you so desire."
- Richard Cross at 20/20 Movie Reviews (link) - "The Brain Eaters does at least strive to be a little different, but it feels half-finished, as if it was rush-released midway through post-production."
- Nigel Honeybone at HorrorNewsdotnet (link)
- Richard Scheib at The Science Fiction,Horror and Fantasy Film Review (2/5 Stars) (link) - "...The Brain Eaters is very much a cheap alien body snatchers film. It fails to contain anything that stands up there with the creepy paranoia of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the other aforementioned classics."
- Dave Sindelar at Fantastic Movie Musings and Ramblings (link) - "...the story is a mess; I don’t know whether the problem was in the original script, in the editing, or if certain scenes were never filmed, but the movie feels jumpy and unfinished, almost as if they stopped filming before they were complete and just edited what they had together."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
An alien vehicle with an earth-moving drill mounted on front to allow travel through the Earth bores its way up from the Hollow Earth, unleashing a horde of fuzzy mind-controlling, brain-eating parasites on the population of a small town in Illinois.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- The producers of this movie were sued by Robert A. Heinlein, who claimed the plot stole several elements of his novel, "The Puppet Masters". The suit was settled out of court.
Associated Mythos Elements
- fiction: compare to Robert A. Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters (fiction)"
- race: "Brain Eaters", described by some fans as "brain-eating, mind-controlling fuzzy slippers with antennae"
- location: Hollow Earth
- An alien vehicle with a drill mounted on the front is discovered jutting out of the ground in the woods near a small town, and soon proves to be the vanguard of an invasion from the Hollow Earth in the form of brain-eating, mind-controlling parasites engineered by Deros....