Cabot Museum of Archaeology

From [YSDC] The Veiled Society
Jump to: navigation, search

The Cabot Museum of Archaeology is a fictitious institution created by H.P. Lovecraft and Hazel Heald in the story Out of Aeons.

Description

The Cabot Museum is a museum in Boston's Beacon Hill District on Mt. Vernon Street. It is housed in a formerly private mansion, (designed by Bulfinch and erected in 1819), with a later added wing. It isn't well known publicly but is considered a prestigious institution in scientific circles. It is perhaps most famous for its "Hall of Mummies" and the peculiar mummy discovered on a recently risen island in the Pacific (later discovered as being the peak of Mount Yaddith-Gho part of the continent Mu).

Hall of Mummies

On the western side of the mansion was the Hall of Mummies. This collection was praised for being the greatest of its kind in America. It featured several typical mummies ranging from some of the earliest Egyptian embalming attempts to later eight century examples. It also included mummies from other cultures, mummified remains from natural disasters such as Pompeii, and many entombed bodies from mines. In 1931 it received several inexplicably preserved bodies found in crypts beneath the almost vanished and evilly famous ruins of Château Faussesflammes, in Averoigne, France.

Mummy of T'yog

The central attraction in the hall is a special mummy recovered from a uncharted island in the Pacific Ocean. It was found by Captain Charles Weatherbee on October 11, 1878 while sailing on the freighter Eridanus on route to Chile from Wellington, New Zealand. The body was discovered within large ruins near an enormous trap door. The mummy is singular in its frozen pose of terror, arms up flung and covering its face. The body isn't embalmed but rather petrified into a leather and stone like substance. When later cut open it was discovered that the organs and brain still functioned, and in fact where still alive. Within its clothes was found a small cylinder containing a bluish scroll with Muvian lettering. This could have either been Naacal or R'lyehian.

Early in November of 1878 the mummy was put on display, but the small attendance of the museum led the mummy and its scroll to be almost completely forgotten. In 1931 a purchase of several inexplicably preserved bodies found in crypts beneath the almost vanished and evilly famous ruins of the Averoigne bodies led a reporter to sensationalize the old mummy. This new endorsement led to a wave of visitors. Amongst the rabble of visitors several scientific and occult minded professionals also rediscovered the mummy. The Swami Chandraputra and Etienne-Laurent de Marigny both visited it. Etienne de Marigny wrote a lengthy article for the The Occult Review connecting the lettering on the scroll to the The Black Book by Friedrich von Junzt. Several more waves of popularity struck the museum and it saw several attempts by criminals to access the mummy. Those caught were thought to have some connection to the Cult of Ghatanothoa. During this time many people claimed to see the mummy move or generally change appearance. Several museum curators were able to confirm that its pertrification was slowly relaxing. After two criminals were found dead of fright in front of the mummy the mummy was removed from public view. According to an account by Dr. Johnson, a curator at the museum, the mummy was dissected revealing that its internal organs were all alive despite its aeon long paralysis.


History

The museum was probably founded sometime in the 1800s.

It received the Mummy of T'Yog early in November of 1878 from Capt. Weatherbee.

In April of 1931 the museum purchased several mummies from the ruins of Château Faussesflammes.

Between 1931 and 1933 the museum enjoyed wide popularity due to the media's discovery of the Mummy of T'Yog and certain increase in occult activity connected to it.

In 1933 its curator Dr. Johnson, Taxidermist Wentworth Moore, and a doctor connected to a dissection carried out in the museum, Dr. William Minot, all disappeared.


Appearances