Call of Cthulhu Keeper Decks
Product Code: CHA23139-KD (printed, 4 decks), CHA23139-KD-PDF (PDF, 4 decks), CHA23139-KD#-PDF (individual deck, where # is a number 1-4)
Publishing Year: 2015
Pages: four 46-card decks
Cover Price: $29.95 (printed 4-deck set); $14.95 (PDF, set); $4.95 (PDF, each)
Author(s)/Artist(s): Mike Mason (devised, written, edited), Nick Nacario (layout & design); with public domain photographs, and illustrations by Marco Morte (Unfortunate Events and Weapons & Artifacts) and Reuben Dodd (Phobias)
Format(s): premium quality large-format (Tarot-sized?) card decks; PDFs
ISBN: 978-1-56882-202-0 (Curious Characters; 978-1-56882-203-7 (Phobia); 978-1-56882-205-1 (Unfortunate Events); 978-1-56882-206-8 (Weapons/Artifacts); 978-1-56882-163-4 (four-deck bundle)
Four card decks, with instructions, credits, etc.
For the four-deck printed product (the PDF products are just variants on this text):
CALL OF CTHULHU KEEPER DECKS - Four decks of cards for use with the Call of Cthulhu tabletop roleplaying game. Each deck provides the Keeper and players with handy references, information and notes. Contained within are:
- The Phobia Deck – 46 cards, each detailing the effects and consequences of a phobia, mania, or episode of madness.
- The Curious Characters Deck - 46 cards, each providing game characteristics and backstories for a range of characters that the players could meet during a game.
- The Unfortunate Events Deck - 46 cards, with all manner of strange, ill-fated and disastrous situations that will land the players in deep water.
- The Weapons and Artifacts Deck - 46 cards, each detailing a hand-to-hand, firearm or Mythos artifact.
The Keeper can use these decks to supplement their scenarios: as inspiration when designing new encounters, to pass players secret and important notes during a game, and as a handy way to impart information. The different cards can enhance the story, advance the plot, as well as introduce friendly or villainous non-player characters.
Comments / Trivia
- Creator Mike Mason describes his original concept for these decks in a blog entry here: (link)
Link to outside reviews
- Mini-Reviews posted to the YSDC forums: (link)
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Comment here to Keepers about this book. Comments on specific Scenarios and Campaigns go on their respective pages. Keep DISCUSSION on the talk page.