Fear in a Bottle
Author(s): John A. Almack
Appears in: Dead Leaves Fall and Other Halloween Horrors
Wherein the investigators follow the trail of a dead thief, find clues about an ancient evil, and learn what they have to fear in a bottle.
- review by Skyman and NeferSutekh at Yog-Sothoth.com
- Reviews by Skyman and NeferSutekh, with Feedback from Scenario Authors
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
This adventure concerns the somewhat misguided attempt by an atavistic Serpent Man to reverse the slow decline of his species by summoning forth a Great Old One relative of Tsathoggua and mate with her, thereby reinvigorating his racial bloodline through her offspring. For his insane plan to succeed, the serpent man had to first obtain a magical artifact called the Flask of Eibon from the local museum. He now only has to wait three more days to enact the completion of his nefarious scheme, assisted by a small number of degenerate serpent folk on All Hallows' Eve (Halloween), and at the center of a circle of standing stones imported from England last month as the scene of a sacrifice to his intended bride. What the careless Serpent Man didn't know was that as a relative of Tsathoggua, his intended bride is actually an ancient enemy of his race....
- Map of Drake's Imports (2 floors)
- Illustration of Great Old One Sfatlicllp, as seen on cover of the Monograph
- Arkham Advertiser Article
- Business Card
- Pnakotica fragment, English translation
- Excerpts from Leather-Bound Journal (in Aklo)
- Miskatonic University Archaeology Department and Exhibit Museum
- Arkham Police Station (302 E. Armitage St., Chief Nichols, Captain Keats, Chief Detective Luther Harden, Detective Ray Stuckey)
- Arkham Court House (666 N. Peabody Ave., Judge Randall)
- Arkham Potter's Field (945 N. Garrison St.)
- Drake's Imports
- Miskatonic University Athletic Field (The Badgers)
- Cabin in Billington's Woods
- Degenerate Serpent Folk
- Sfatlicllp, a little-known Great Old One relative of Tsathoggua
- Ghouls (not hostile by default)
- Zombie Minion
Tomes and Artifacts:
- Flask of Eibon
- Has Call/Dismiss Sfatlicllp spell inscribed on it in Hyborean
- A photostatic copy of the Pnakotica fragment with a partial translation in English of one of the passages written on hotel stationary
- Leather-bound Journal, in Aklo (much about serpent people culture in general and his life in particular. The journal takes 12 weeks to read, for 1D2/1D4 Sanity loss and +3 Cthulhu Mythos. It also includes notations on the spells Consume Likeness and Contact Serpent Man)
- The scenario makes reference to the investigators possibly getting involved after being contacted by the Eye of Amara society.
Campaigns / Scenarios: (none)
List dedication, trivia, images, anything else of note.
“And Zhothaqqua begot Zvilpogghua, who begat the virgin Sfatlicllp, who is the Fallen Wisdom.” - Robert M. Price and Laurence J. Cornford, “The Epistles of Eibon”
“Hail to thee, Sfatlicllp! Great Mother-Sister who shared with us the primal seed of stars, who lent Thy holy body to our cause, bestowing thus upon us one who raged insatiate & ravening as flame through all the proud streets of Commoriom!” - Ann K. Schwader, “Voormi Hymn of Deliverance”
Comments to Keepers about this scenario; Possibly how to run it successfully. Keep general DISCUSSION on the talk page.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Setting: 1920s Arkham; due to the huge number of details taken from the Miskatonic University (Supplement) and other sources, it's probably easiest to use this default setting.
Special Notes: Makes numerous references to H.P. Lovecraft’s Arkham and Miskatonic University (Supplement) for more information about background locations, NPCs, props, and other details for Miskatonic University and Arkham, but these resources are not required: the scenario includes everything needed.
Dependence on Halloween: A little. There are a few references to Halloween costumes which are minor plot points, the date could probably be changed with minimal rewriting. A group unfamiliar with (or uninterested in) Halloween and its traditions generally won't need to know much more than that Miskatonic University students dress up in costumes and play annoying pranks on the police on this date.