Frostbiter, Wrath of the Wendigo (1996 film)
Frostbiter, Wrath of the Wendigo (1996), AKA Frostbiter (1995), Wendigo (1988), Another Evil Dead Chapter: Frostbiter
"Hell Has Frozen Over." A reckless band of hunters reawakens a bloodthirsty beast from American Indian folklore from its hellish slumber.
- Release Date: 1988 - 1995/1996
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Comedy, Horror
- Runtime: 1 hr 24 min
- Starring: Ron Asheton, Lori Baker, Patrick Butler
- Director: Tom Chaney
- Writer: Tom Chaney, Rick Cioffi, Steve Quick
- Producer/Production Co: Troma Entertainment
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity, brief Nudity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
The limit of the "Lovecraftian" content in this film seem to be the snowy setting, some resemblance to the vaguely Lovecraftian Evil Dead (1981 franchise), and the film's wendigo monsters, which come from Native American mythology and were also incorporated into the "Cthulhu Mythos" by August Derleth (by some accounts, the film's take on the creatures leans more toward Derleth's mythos than mythology).
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A pack of gun-happy redneck hunters are gruesomely killed one-by-one after they stupidly break a sacred circle in a hunting spree, which releases the deadly wendigo.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- This film was filmed in 1988, but not released until 1996.
- This film was linked to Evil Dead (1981 franchise) in some foreign markets, but is not related.
Associated Mythos Elements
- film: compare to Evil Dead (1981 franchise)
- race: Wendigo
- race: Deadites / undead Witches
- race: Bat-Dragon-Monster
- race: Chili Monsters