Monsterland (2016 film)
Welcome to Monsterland! A terrifying place where savage beasts, carnivorous creatures, and grotesque abominations are the new normal; and the human race is now at the bottom of the food chain. A horror anthology.
- Release Date: 2016
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Comedy, Anthology, Animation
- Runtime: 1 hr 28 min
- Starring: (various)
- Director: Jack Fields, Erik Gardner, Andrew Kasch, Josh LaCasse, Patrick Longstreth, Sander Maran, Peter McCoubrey (as McCoubrey Brothers), John Skipp, Corey Norman
- Writer: Kaspar Ainelo, Jan Andresson, Jack Fields, Kate Fitzpatrick, Erik Gardner, Cody Goodfellow, Dick Grunert, Patrick Longstreth, Sander Maran, Peter McCoubrey, Haley Norman and Tyler Wood
- Producer/Production Co: Dread Central, Ruthless Pictures
- View Trailer: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (expect the equivalent of an R for Violence, Profanity, Nudity, Adult Content, Sexual Situations)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
At least there are tentacles.... In particular, the shorts "The Grey Matter" (about a talking parasitic worm living in a man's head) and "Hellyfish" (about a swarm of tentacled sea monsters attacking a beach) might appeal to "Lovecraftians".
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- The Black Saint at Horror News dotnet, (link) - "...You could do a lot worse than Monsterland on a quiet Saturday night if you keep your expectations low and your supply of alcoholic beverages high...."
Welcome to Monsterland! A terrifying place where savage beasts, carnivorous creatures, and grotesque abominations are the new normal; and the human race is now at the bottom of the food chain.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
- "Monsterland" (wrap-around): A man fleeing monsters hides in a theatre film-festival with an audience full of dead people.
- "Don't Go Into the Lake": A group of young adults go skinny-dipping in a lake at night.
- "The Grey Matter": A man wakes up alone in a dirty alley with a hole in his head, and a disembodied voice speaking to him.
- "Curiosity Kills": A little boy feeds radioactive chemicals to his pet rat.
- "Hag": A married couple's sleep is disrupted by sleep disturbances: she walks in her sleep, and he has sleep paralysis.
- "Monster Man" (animated): A man seeks revenge against the monster that killed his friends.
- "House Call": A man with a pistol breaks into a dentist's house at night and orders the dentist to pull his teeth.
- "Happy Memories" (animated): "A cupcake is born from a monster. It is exploited and tortured by a series of terrifying beings. It is torn from the prenatal pastry world, experimented on by 12-dimensional Mathuloxes, and transformed into a new being, perpetuating the cycle of pain and wonder."
- "Stay-At-Home-Dad": A man undergoes an experimental treatment that allows him to breast-feed his newborn daughter.
- "Hellyfish": A Russian spy with a rocket launcher is the only thing that stands between the world and an invasion of gigantic killer sea monsters.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- Tentacle Monsters