Night Visions (2001 series)
Night Visions, AKA Shadow Realm (2002 film)
An anthology horror series similar to Night Gallery; some tales are supernatural, others are just commentaries on twisted human nature. Each hour episode is made up of two half-hour episodes aired back-to-back.
- Release Date: 2001
- Country/Language: Canada/US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Thriller, Anthology
- Runtime: (generally formatted for a 1-hour commercial television slot, typically two 30-minute stories)
- Starring: (various), Host Henry Rollins
- Creator: Billy Brown and Dan Angel
- Producer/Production Co: Angel/Brown Productions, Warner Bros. Television, FOX, SyFy, Chiller
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVtropes: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (perhaps equivalent of a TV-MA for Violence and mild Adult Content?)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Overall, this series had only a few vaguely "Lovecraftian" moments, but there were a few stories that did work on that level, with weird monsters, alternate dimensions, bizarre hallucinatory dreamlands, and hat sort of thing; see the suggested episodes for some of the more memorable examples.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Synopses and Suggested Episodes
- "A View Through the Window" (Ep. 1x03a) - A military scientist is compelled to investigate the strange appearance of a lush farm in the middle of a desert. By Bob Leman and Steve Aspis.
- "Now He's Coming Up the Stairs" (Ep. 1x04a) - A psychiatrist with the ability to absorb the illnesses of his patients comes upon a situation that may be more than he can handle. By Steve Aspis.
- "Rest Stop" (Ep. 1x05a) - A couple picks up a hitchhiker on a quiet country road, and discover that the local rest area is more than meets the eye.
- "Darkness" (Ep. 1x10b) - A man inherits a house from his rich uncle, not realizing all that comes with it.
- "The Maze" (Ep. 1x11a) - A young college student wanders into a hedge maze and comes out in an apparently deserted version of her campus. By Tobe Hooper.
- "Harmony" (Ep. 1x11b) - In a town where music is outlawed, a stranger appears and attempts to convince the townsfolk they have nothing to fear.
- "Cargo" (Ep. 1x12a) - A cargo officer on a freighter discovers that the cargo on board contains more than mere crates and packages.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- In 2002, the SyFy channel (formerly SciFi) aired the last four episodes bundled together without the Henry Rollins introductions as the Anthology horror film Shadow Realm.
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- "A View Through the Window" - A Delta Green team is assigned to investigate and contain a "window" into another dimension....
- "Now He's Coming Up the Stairs" - The investigators are hired to enter the Dreamlands to help a boy who has lost contact with reality....
- "Cargo" - A Delta Green team is called in to investigate strange experiences on a cargo freighter with a dangerous cargo....