Outpost (2008 franchise)
"You can't kill what's already dead." In war-torn Eastern Europe, a world-weary group of mercenaries discover a long-hidden secret in an abandoned WWII bunker. A franchise of zombie horror films including:
- Outpost (2008)
- Outpost II: Black Sun (2012)
- Outpost III: Rise of the Spetsnaz (2013)
- Release Date: 2008
- Country/Language: UK, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Sci-fi, War (Weird World War)
- Runtime: 1 hr 30 min
- Starring: Ray Stevenson, Julian Wadham, Richard Brake
- Director: Steve Barker
- Writer: Rae Brunton (screenplay), Kieran Parker (story)
- Producer/Production Co: Black Camel Pictures, Regent Capital
- View Trailer: (link) (link) (link)
- TVTropes Page: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not exactly a "Lovecraftian" film in the sense of being based on any of Lovecraft's work or containing references to his creations, though some viewers may find the location and atmosphere suggestive of Lovecraft's work (an "Eldritch Location" film). I don't quite remember any Lovecraft connection, but it's been a while since I've seen the 2008 film; according to one viewer, "the Lovecraftian elements are reminiscent of "From Beyond (fiction)" and the ending has the dark inevitability common in Lovecraft's work." (It seems likely that the sequels have no Lovecraftian content whatsoever.)
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Simon Ball at Spooky Isles, (link) - "...Outpost is a good looking movie with nicely dressed sets, good special effects, atmospheric cinematography, sound and lighting...."
- Richard Scheib at The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (3/5 Stars) (link) - "The show works as a lean, well-oiled horror vehicle."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
OUTPOST - In war-torn Eastern Europe, a world-weary group of mercenaries discover a long-hidden secret in an abandoned WWII bunker. OUTPOST II: BLACK SUN - A NATO task force tracks a Nazi war criminal and stumbles upon an army of walking dead Nazi soldiers killing their way across Europe. OUTPOST III: RISE OF THE SPETSNAZ - Undead Nazis have gladiator-like battles with elite Russian Spetsnaz soldiers.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO