Spider Baby (1967 film)
Spider Baby, or: The Maddest Story Ever Told!, AKA Spider Baby, The Liver-Eaters, Cannibal Orgy, or The Maddest Story Ever Told, Jack Hill's Spider Baby (1967)
"The maddest story ever told!" A caretaker devotes himself to three demented siblings after their father's death.
- Release Date: 1967
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror (Southern Gothic), Comedy (black comedy)
- Runtime: 1 hr 21 min
- Starring: Lon Chaney Jr., Carol Ohmart, Quinn K. Redeker
- Director: Jack Hill
- Writer: Jack Hill
- Producer/Production Co: Lasky-Monka
- View Trailer: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (perhaps equivalent to a PG or PG-13 for Violence and mild Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not very "Lovecraftian", though as an American Gothic horror story about a degenerate family of cannibals with strange hereditary disorders one might easily imagine it being set in Innsmouth or Dunwich....
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (needs review)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Chauffeur Bruno looks after three strange siblings at their family estate; the children all suffer from an inherited condition: a genetic disorder that causes a reversal in mental age and results in a crazed, childlike disposition. Because of his affection for the family, Bruno covers up the siblings' bizarre behavior and crimes. But, when relatives arrive at the family estate, the truth is bound to come out.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO