Supernatural (1977 series)
British anthology television series that was produced by the BBC in 1977. The series consisted of eight episodes broadcast on BBC1. In each episode, a prospective member of the "Club of the Damned" was required to tell a horror story, and their application for membership would be judged on how frightening the story was. Applicants who failed to tell a sufficiently frightening story would be killed.
- Release Date: 1977
- Country/Language: UK, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror (Gothic), Mystery, TV mini-series
- Setting: Gaslight United Kingdom
- Runtime: (generally formatted for a one-hour BBC time slot)
- Starring: (various)
- Writer: Robert Muller
- Producer/Production Co: British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
- View Film: (Ghost of Venice), (Countess Ilona), (Werewolf Reunion), (Mr. Nightingale), (Lady Sybil), (Viktoria), (Night of the Marionettes), (Dorabella)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (perhaps equivalent to PG for )
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Loaded with traditional Gothic horror monsters like ghosts, vampires, werewolves, and such. Not very "Lovecraftian', but similar in tone to many of Lovecraft's influences.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Friedland at YSDC, (link) - "Fantastic TV show that should provide inspiration for any Cthulhu enthusiast...."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
- "Ghost of Venice" - In Venice in the 1800's, a British gentlemen befriends a mysterious woman whose presence seems almost other worldly to him.
- "Countess Ilona" - The Countess Ilona has invited four gentlemen to her castle. Distracted by her beauty, they do not expect the punishment she ha planned for them.
- "The Werewolf Reunion" - The surviving admirers of the implacable Countess Ilona realize that there is no escape from her isolated castle - and night is falling.
- "Mr. Nightingale" - A prim 35-year-old Englishman, Nightingale, goes to Hamburg for business reasons and finds that a mysterious double is haunting him.
- "Lady Sybil" - Who is the "Phantom" Lady Sybil is so frightened of? Does the ghost of her dead husband haunt the grounds.
- "Viktoria" - After her mother's suspicious death and her father's re-marriage, a young girl becomes obsessed by her unusual new doll, which she seems to think is a reincarnation of her mother.
- "Night of the Marionettes" - When a noted English literary writer visit's the castle in Switzerland where the novel Frankenstein was written, he begins to wonder whether the inspiration for the novel may have come from Mary Shelley's imagination, or possible been inspired by something much more real.
- "Dorabella" - A handsome young man tells the story of his escape from a female vampire in Eastern Europe.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- cult: "Club of the Damned", prospective members are required to tell a horror story, and their application for membership would be judged on how frightening the story was; applicants who failed to tell a sufficiently frightening story would be killed
- setting: Gaslight
- races: Ghosts, Witches, Vampires, Werewolves, and such