The Bunker (2001 film)
The Bunker (2001)
"The Evil Is Within." In 1944, German soldiers take refuge in a concrete bunker that may be haunted by malevolent forces.
- Release Date: 2001
- Country/Language: UK, English and German with subtitles
- Genres/Technical: Horror (psychological horror), Mystery, War (weird world war)
- Runtime: 1 hr 28 min
- Starring: Jason Flemyng, Andrew Tiernan, Christopher Fairbank
- Director: Rob Green
- Writer: Clive Dawson
- Producer/Production Co: Millennium Pictures
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not exactly a "Lovecraftian" film in the sense of being based on any of Lovecraft's work or containing references to his creations, though some viewers may find the location and atmosphere suggestive of Lovecraft's work (an "Eldritch Location" film).
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Horror-Movie-a-Day, (link) - "...They certainly get the atmosphere down pat; they were only in the bunker for about 5 minutes before I started feeling uneasy about it, and the confusing geography is actually a benefit, not a hindrance...."
- Horror, Gore, and More, (link) - "...The story for the film is surprisingly good. Elements which at first appear cheesy or familiar turn out to be a bit different then expected and the film works well as a psychological horror.... This is more a horror of the mind and imagination than a gory affair, but there are a few fairly graphic scenes towards the end...."
- Y.Whateley - seems like a fair period surreal/psychological horror war film, but I don't really get the "Lovecraftian" connection that came with the recommendation of the film to me, and it may be one of those your-mileage-may-vary things.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
In 1944, a squad of German soldiers take refuge in a concrete bunker that may be haunted by malevolent forces; madness reigns soon after they begin seeing ghosts and discover that occult events may have occurred in the tunnels beneath the bunker....
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO