Alone in the Dark (2005 franchise)
Alone in the Dark (2005); Alone in the Dark II (2008), AKA Alone in the Dark: Fate of Existence
"Evil awakens. Evil returns. Can mankind defeat the army of darkness unleashed by an ancient evil cult?" A universally-panned film franchise loosely based on the video game series. A detective of the paranormal slowly unravels occult mysteries in the dark with deadly results.
- Release Date: 2005-2008
- Country/Language: Germany/Canada/US, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Thriller, Mystery
- Starring: Christian Slater, Tara Reid, Stephen Dorff; Rick Yune, Rachel Specter, Lance Henriksen
- Director: Uwe Boll; Michael Roesch, Peter Scheerer
- Writer: Elan Mastai, Michael Roesch; Michael Roesch, Peter Scheerer
- Producer/Production Co: AITD Productions, Boll Kino Beteiligungs GmbH & Co. KG, Herold Productions; HJB Filmproduktion, Bussard, Brooklyn Independent Studios
- View Trailer: (link), (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link), (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SS___ (Two Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; could be a very loose adaptation)
The film series is loosely based on the famous Alone in the Dark video game franchise, which was in turn loosely inspired by the work of H.P. Lovecraft. The film does include paranormal detective investigators, lost precursor civilizations, a parallel "world of darkness" full of trapped evil waiting for a chance to escape into the "world of light", and other Lovecraftian, Weird, and pulp tropes.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
ALONE IN THE DARK (2005) - Based on the video game, Alone in the Dark focuses on Edward Carnby, a detective of the paranormal, who slowly unravels mysterious events involving the discovery of a lost tribe of Native Americans who had opened a portal into a "dark side" of the universe, with deadly results. ALONE IN THE DARK II (2008) - When the night falls, and the creatures of the dark are crawling out of the shadows, there is only one man who stands between us and evil: Edward Carnby.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- Writer Blair Erickson on the unused, original "what could have been" script: "The original script took the Alone In the Dark premise and depicted it as if it were actually based on a true story of a private investigator in the northeastern U.S. whose missing persons cases begin to uncover a disturbing paranormal secret. It was told through the eyes of a writer following Edward Carnby and his co-worker for a novel, and depicted them as real-life blue-collar folks who never expected to find hideous beings waiting for them in the dark. We tried to stick close to the H. P. Lovecraft style and the low-tech nature of the original game, always keeping the horror in the shadows so you never saw what was coming for them. Thankfully Dr. Boll was able to hire his loyal team of hacks to crank out something much better than our crappy story and add in all sorts of terrifying horror movie essentials like opening gateways to alternate dimensions, bimbo blonde archaeologists, sex scenes, mad scientists, slimy dog monsters, special army forces designed to battle slimy CG dog monsters, Tara Reid, "Matrix" slow-motion gun battles, and car chases. Oh yeah, and a ten-minute opening back story scroll read aloud to the illiterate audience, the only people able to successfully miss all the negative reviews. I mean hell, Boll knows that's where the real scares lie."
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- location: "World of Darkness" (compare to Vaults of Zin)
- race: Xenos, terrifying creatures that thrive in the darkness, waiting for the day when the gate can be opened again
- character: Edward Carnby, paranormal detective
- organization: Bureau 713, a government paranormal research agency
- organization: the extinct Abkani tribe