Annihilation (2018 film)
"One way in. No way out." When a biologist's husband disappears while exploring a bizarre quarantine zone surrounding a fallen meteorite, she joins an expedition into the disaster area with an anthropologist, psychologist, surveyor, and linguist, but does not find what she's expecting.
- Release Date: 2018
- Country/Language: UK/USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Adventure, Horror, Science Fiction
- Setting: Modern/Near Future USA; Delta Green
- Runtime: 1 hr 15 min
- Starring: Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tessa Thompson, Gina Rodriguez, Tuva Novotny
- Director: Alex Garland
- Writer: Alex Garland (screenplay), Jeff VanderMeer (original story)
- Producer/Production Co: DNA Films, Paramount Pictures, Scott Rudin Productions
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SSS__ (Three Tentacles: Lovecraftian, could possibly have been written by Lovecraft himself.)
I've seen some fair comparisons to "The Colour Out of Space (fiction)".
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- User:Ywhateley: "Came off as sort of a mix of "Aliens" and "The Thing", mixed with a dash of "Colour Out of Space", marred largely by a weak CGI-heavy ending, though I still found it enjoyable, with everything that happened between the team entering the quarantine area and the start of the lighthouse scene being especially eerie and enjoyable."
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- fiction: "The Colour Out of Space (fiction)"
- setting: Delta Green
- race: Colour Out of Space
- race: Mutants
- The investigators are recruited into a specialist armed science team organized to explore a mysterious region surrounding a meteorite with physics-defying properties.