Apollo 18 (2011 film)
Apollo 18 (2011) - AKA Apollo 18: The Forbidden Mission
"There's a reason we've never gone back to the moon." A found-footage horror film in which decades-old footage from NASA's abandoned Apollo 18 mission, where two American astronauts were sent on a secret expedition, reveals the reason the U.S. has never returned to the moon.
- Release Date: 2011
- Country/Language: USA/Canada, English
- Genres/Technical: Sci-fi, Horror (found footage), Thriller
- Setting: Cthulhu Icarus
- Runtime: 1 hr 26 min
- Starring: Warren Christie, Lloyd Owen, Ryan Robbins
- Director: Gonzalo López-Gallego
- Writer: Brian Miller, Cory Goodman
- Producer/Production Co: Dimension Films, Bekmambetov Projects Ltd. (BPL), Apollo 18 Productions
- View Trailer: (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- Wikipedia: (link)
- IMDB Page: (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (Violence, Adult Language, etc.)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- Ss___ (One and a Half Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian)
An expedition to the moon finds more than it bargains for in the form of face-eating moon-spiders lurking at the bottom of a dark crater. Not very Lovecraftian, but could perhaps be pressed into service as a space-based Call of Cthulhu RPG scenario, with the optional addition of just a couple more explicitly Lovecraftian elements.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Video Review by Jeremy Jahns (link)
- Review by Marie Asner at The Phantom Tollbooth (link) (3/5 Alarm Clocks)
- Review by Mike Hale at The New York Times (link)
- Review by Richard Scheib at The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (link) (3/5 Stars)
- Review by Michael Steinberg at Found Footage Critic (link) (8.3)
- Discussion of the films special effects work at Clouds Across the Moon (link)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A found-footage horror film in which decades-old footage from NASA's abandoned Apollo 18 mission, where two American astronauts were sent on a secret expedition, reveals the reason the U.S. has never returned to the moon: face-eating moon-spiders lurking at the bottom of a dark crater....
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- The actual, canceled Apollo 18 lunar mission flight crew would have been the Apollo 15 backup crew: Richard Gordon (Commander), Vance DeVoe Brand (Command Module Pilot), and Harrison Schmitt (Lunar Module Pilot). Because of his expertise in geology, Schmitt was moved to Apollo 17 after Apollo 18, 19, and 20 were canceled. However, in some way, there was a real Apollo 18 during the year 1975: Named ASTP (Apollo-Soyuz Test Project), the mission was the first docking of spacecrafts built by different nations; the American crew included one of the seven Mercury program astronauts, Deke Slayton (the one who had never flown) and the Russian one Alexey Leonov, who was the first man to "walk in space."
- An earlier version of the movie had giant moon rock monsters in it. Although they do not feature explicitly in the final cut, some brief glimpses of much larger rock spider creatures can be seen as the lunar rover carrying Captain Anderson (Warren Christie) and Lieutenant Walker (Lloyd Owen) flips over; and just before Walker is killed, a large shadow approaches him, and his body is quickly dragged away afterwards, suggesting a much larger creature. Many more scenes were filmed for Captain Anderson (Warren Christie)'s death, in which he alternately suffocates to death aboard the Russian lander, gets infected by rock creatures, is attacked by a large spider-creature entering the lander, and where his ship crashes.
Associated Mythos Elements
- setting: Cthulhu Icarus
- race: space-spiders