Difference between revisions of "Man of Leng"
m (Wiki Links.)
|Line 35:||Line 35:|
Revision as of 04:56, 30 June 2022
Origin: H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (1943)
They leaped as though they had hooves instead of feet, and seemed to wear a sort of wig or headpiece with small horns. Of other clothing they had none, but most of them were quite furry. Behind they had dwarfish tails, and when they glanced upward he saw the excessive width of their mouths. Then he knew what they were, and that they did not wear any wigs or headpieces after all. For the cryptic folk of Leng were of one race with the uncomfortable merchants of the black galleys that traded rubies at Dylath-Leen; those not quite human merchants who are the slaves of the monstrous moon-things!
— H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Men of Leng are the primitive, satyr-like inhabitants of the Plateau of Leng in the Dreamlands. Only very generally humanlike, they have horns, hooves, and tails, and very wide mouths. In ancient times the Men of Leng built the ancient city of Sarkomand as their capital, but long ages ago they were enslaved by the Moon-Beasts and now serve as the Moon-Beasts' go-betweens in interaction with humans. While in this capacity, the Men of Leng wear turbans with double peaks in front to conceal their horns, and small shoes to hide their hooves.
The Men of Leng, like their Moon-Beast masters, serve Nyarlathotep.
Heresies and Controversies
- The Necronomicon tells of a corpse-eating cult of Leng, which is associated with the sinister Amulet of Leng, but apparently specifies that Leng is to be found in central Asia. Whether or not this has any connection to the Men of Leng who dwell in the Dreamlands is entirely uncertain.
- The Men of Leng as Satyrs: (YSDC Forums)
- The Men of Leng as Deros: (YSDC Forums)
Associated Mythos Elements
- tome: Necronomicon(?)
- artifact: Amulet of Leng(?)
- deity: Nyarlathotep
- race: Moon-Beasts
- location: Plateau of Leng, Sarkomand