The Dunwich Horror (2009 film)
The Dunwich Horror AKA H.P. Lovecraft's Witches: The Dunwich Horror (2009 film)
A man searches for an ancient manuscript that will enable the opening of a doorway to another dimension and will call forth hideous creatures known as the "Old Ones."
- Release Date: 2009
- Country/Language: USA/Germany, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Fantasy, made-for-TV
- Runtime: 1 hr 31 min
- Starring: Dean Stockwell, Jeffrey Combs, Griff Furst and Sarah Leaving
- Director: Leigh Scott
- Writer: H.P. Lovecraft (original story)
- Producer/Production Co: Active Entertainment Finance and Bullet Films
- View Trailer: (link)
- Rated: R (Brief Nudity, Adult Content, Language, Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SSS__ (Three Tentacles: Lovecraftian)
Loosely based on the original Lovecraft story, with quite a bit of confusing and non-Lovecraftian filler tossed on top of it.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- BadMovieMarathon "Summer of Lovecraft", (link) - "Dull and confusing, this film is a baffling mess of gratuitous special effects and mumbled or gabbled exposition...."
- Silvia Moreno-Garcia for the Innsmouth Free Press, (link) - "Yes, I realize this is a low-budget flick set to premiere on the SyFy Channel this fall. Nevertheless, the movie’s low budget is not a good excuse for its lack of thrills...."
Wilbur Whateley searches for the Necronomicon, an ancient manuscript that will enable the opening of a doorway to another dimension and will call forth hideous creatures known as the "Old Ones." The setting is moved from "Lovecraft Country" in New England to Louisiana (?), and exorcisms, immortal voodoo priestesses, non-Lovecraftian dream quests, and other extra content has been added to "spice" the original story up for some reason.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- Dean Stockwell, playing Henry Armitage in this adaptation, also appeared in the 1970 adaptation as Wilbur Whateley.
Associated Mythos Elements
- Fiction: The Dunwich Horror (fiction)
- Family: Whateley
- Location: Dunwich
- Character: Dr. Henry Armitage